Google
 

Friday, January 4, 2008

General Information

Although medication therapy is generally effective in the clinical management of Parkinson's disease (PD), additional improvement of some gross motor symptoms may be achieved through the use of nonpharmacological treatments, such as physical therapy and exercise rehabilitation. Despite the fact that PD is a neurological disorder, successful rehabilitation has been demonstrated with treatments that combine cognitive and physical approaches. While the exact mechanism through which these therapies obtain successful outcomes is still largely unknown, it is worthwhile to explore these adjunctive approaches to treating the motor output symptoms of PD.

What can the physiotherapist do to help someone with Parkinson’s?
Physiotherapists are trained to provide an assessment to see how Parkinson’s affects the individual. This can be done with newly diagnosed, as well as those who have been diagnosed for some time. In the earlier stages, the emphasis of treatment will be mainly focused on understanding the condition and how a person might keep up their own general levels of fitness and maintain independence for them. In the later stages of the disease, the emphasis will include a support network for the individual, involving the family and carers as part of the treatment. The assessment will indicate to the physiotherapist what combination of education and intervention is required, some examples of which are listed below:

• Teach techniques that help make some automatic movements easier. For example, the activities of walking, sitting down and standing up are some of the tasks that may become difficult as Parkinson’s progresses, but can be improved by learning new ways of doing things.

• Help the patient to maintain independence in his daily life if he is having difficulty with certain actions, such as getting up out of a chair or turning in bed. The physiotherapist may visit your home and be able to teach the patient a different way of doing the action, or could give advice on aids and adaptations that might be of use. (In many places, it is the occupational therapist that deals with this sort of problem.) The PDS recommends that advice is sought first from a physiotherapist before patient buys any piece of equipment, as no two individuals with Parkinson’s are quite alike, and what might benefit one person might be unsafe for another. See the PDS information sheet, Equipment and Disability Aids and PDS leaflet Occupational Therapy and Parkinson’s.

• Work on stiff muscles and joints to maintain a posture, keep your joints flexible and help relieve the effects of rigidity that might occur. This will help to make patient’s actions more smooth and efficient. The physiotherapist can also teach patient and his carer to do this.
• Improve or maintain muscle strength by the use of general or specific exercises, or by providing an exercise programme for the patient to follow in the hospital, or at home. A physiotherapist may help to maintain the patient’s level of fitness or advise you take up a sport, such as golf or swimming, or a class like yoga or tai chi, where the additional benefits of relaxation help to decrease stress that can worsen the symptoms of Parkinson’s.

3 comments:

TINA PHILIPA said...

I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860. website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

Dr Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
HIV
Herpes
Cancer
Chronic Disease
Asthma
Parkinson's disease
External infection
Als
Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
Heart Disease
Diabetes
Kidney Disease
Lupus
Epilepsy
Stroke
Eczema
Eating Disorder
Back Pain. etc
contact him for your solution.

Anneke Sergio said...

Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

matina said...

i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com